I. Consular activity
II. Consular offices of Turkmenistan abroad and their functions
III. Tariff of consular fees of Turkmenistan levied outside the territory of Turkmenistan
Legal bases of activity, procedure for establishing and functioning of consular offices of Turkmenistan, the appointment of their officers and employees, as well as the functions of consuls on safeguarding rights and interests of Turkmenistan, its nationals and corporate bodies abroad are defined in accordance with the Law of Turkmenistan “On Consular Offices of Turkmenistan Abroad.” Categories and types of visas and the procedure for their registration, issue and extension of the term of their validity are regulated by the Law of Turkmenistan “On Migration” and other regulations of Turkmenistan.
I. Consular activity
1. The provision of consular relations of Turkmenistan with foreign states, the protection of the rights and legitimate interests of Turkmenistan, its citizens and legal entities abroad is coordinated by the Consular department – the structural division of central office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan.
2. Currently, two Consulates of Turkmenistan in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan in Herat and Mazar-i-Sharif, the Consulate general of Turkmenistan in the Islamic Republic of Iran in Mashhad, the Consulate general of Turkmenistan in the Republic of Turkey in Istanbul, the Consulate of Turkmenistan in the Russian Federation in Astrakhan, the Consulate of Turkmenistan in the Federal Republic of Germany in Frankfurt-on-Main, the Consulate of Turkmenistan in the Republic of Kazakhstan in Aktau function in accordance with the Law of Turkmenistan “On Consular Offices of Turkmenistan Abroad.” Consular offices include consular departments of diplomatic missions of Turkmenistan abroad. They protect the rights and interests of Turkmenistan, individuals and bodies corporate of Turkmenistan.
3. Consular officials, within their competence, act as notary and civil registrar and also legalize documents and various statements made by the authorities of the consular district or proceedings from these authorities. Along with the protection of the rights and representation of legitimate interests of citizens of Turkmenistan abroad, they inform them on the existing laws and stay rules in the receiving state, make necessary recommendations, take appropriate measures to ensure security in emergency situations.
4. The legal status of citizens of Turkmenistan abroad is defined, first of all, by the legislation of the receiving state. The provisions of consular conventions and agreements on legal aid on civil, family and criminal cases are also of great significance.
II. Consular offices of Turkmenistan abroad and their functions
1. Information on the procedure for the requirements of documents
Turkmen citizens may apply to the diplomatic missions and consular offices of Turkmenistan abroad to reclaim required documents. In cases where the required document of a citizen is in the territory of Turkmenistan, the following procedure of claim is applied.
The person concerned addresses to the diplomatic mission or consular office in the state of his residence and fills two copies of the application form for each claimed document and pays the appropriate visa fee.
Filled request is sent by a diplomatic mission or consular office through the Consular Office (CO) at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan in appropriate archival institutions in the territory of Turkmenistan. After searching, archival institutions return requested documents to the diplomatic mission or consular office through the CO of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan. In cases where the search of document is not possible, archival institution shall inform the applicant through the CO of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan.
Originals of passports, the work record card, military cards are not subject to a claim, sending abroad. If necessary, references on length of service and military service can be sent abroad.
Depending on the category of the request for claim of documents, its implementation in Turkmenistan is carried out by the following bodies:
- Central Archive of the Registrar of Turkmenistan;
- Main Archive Office under the Cabinet of Ministers of Turkmenistan;
- Ministry of Internal Affairs;
- Red Crescent Society of Turkmenistan.
People living in Turkmenistan, Turkmen citizens can request the CO of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan for the claim of documents from other states.
The claim procedure depends on the completeness of the input data and the requirements of the legislation of the state of the origin of the document. It should be taken into account that the claim of documents from abroad requires a long time.
2. Information on the procedure of legalization of documents
Legalization is a proof for the document emanating from the authorities of the state or compiled with the assistance of the authorities and consistent with the law of that state. It lies in the authentication of signature of the person signing the document and the seal of the authorized state body.
In accordance with international practice, there is no need for the legalization of passports and substituting documents.
The documents and acts that are contrary to the laws of Turkmenistan or its content may harm the interests of Turkmenistan or contain information discrediting the honor and dignity of citizens, as well as the originals and copies of passports, work books, military cards, identity cards, the ownership of the property, documents that are directly related to commercial or customs operations (accounts, documents on the movement of goods across the border, the agreement for the supply of goods, customs declarations, etc.) are not subject to legalization.
The legalization of documents for use abroad.
Legalization of documents for use abroad is carried out in the following manner:
1) The notary office in Turkmenistan notarizes a copy of the document;
2) The Ministry of Justice of Turkmenistan testifies the authenticity of the signature and seal of a notary;
3) The CO of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan confirms the authenticity of the seal of the Ministry of Justice of Turkmenistan and the signature of the official.
After the legalization by the CO of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan, the documents are legalized at the diplomatic mission or consular post of the state where they are used. In addition, a Turkmen consul confirms on the basis of its existing samples of the authenticity of the signature and the seal of the authorized officer of the CO of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan.
Documents are legalized in notarized copies. The exception is education documents for use abroad, which are legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan in the original.
Consular fees will be charged and collected on the account of reimbursement of actual expenses for the completion of legalization in the CO of the Ministry of Foreign Ministry of Turkmenistan.
The legalization of foreign documents for the execution in the territory of Turkmenistan
Foreign documents intended for use in the territory of Turkmenistan are legalized by diplomatic missions or consular offices of Turkmenistan abroad after the legalization at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan, or otherwise authorized body of the state of origin of the document.
Documents of foreign countries brought to Turkmenistan without legalization in diplomatic missions or consular offices of Turkmenistan abroad are legalized by diplomatic representations of a foreign country in the territory of Turkmenistan where they were made and then by the CO of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan.
Bilateral agreements on legal assistance and legal relations in civil, family and criminal cases, signed by Turkmenistan, as well as the Convention on Legal Assistance and Legal Relations in Civil, Family and Criminal Matters, signed on January 22, 1993 in Minsk by CIS member states, determine the order, in accordance of which the documents issued by the official authorities of a contracting party shall be regarded as official and use in the territory of the other contracting party by probative value of official documents without any additional license, i.e. without legalization.
3. The consular record and registration of citizens of Turkmenistan abroad
In accordance with Article 29 of the Law of Turkmenistan “On Consular Offices of Turkmenistan Abroad,” diplomatic missions and consular offices of Turkmenistan abroad implement the record and registration of citizens of Turkmenistan who are in the territory of their consular district. Turkmen citizens who are outside of Turkmenistan have the right to register (up to consulate) in the diplomatic mission or consular office of Turkmenistan. Registration of citizens of Turkmenistan is free of charge.
The CO of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan strongly recommends using this opportunity. While not binding, this procedure allows to solve many problems without having to travel to Turkmenistan (provision of information about the upcoming elections and referenda, registration certificates, registration of acts of civil status, etc.), as well as facilitate return to the homeland in the event of the war, riots or natural disasters in the receiving state.
In order to have a consulate record in the diplomatic mission or consular office of Turkmenistan, you should fill an application in the prescribed form. While registering, a note is made in a passport: “Registered in ... (the name of the consular office of Turkmenistan and its location),” date and signature of the person who is registered.
III. Consular fees of Turkmenistan
For the registration and issuance of visas the following consular fees are provided by the legislation of Turkmenistan:
1) For single entry visa:
- Up to 10 days - $ 20;
- Up to 20 days - $ 30;
- Up to 1 month - $ 40;
- For each month - $ 30.
2) For multiple-entry visa:
- Up to 1 month - $ 60;
- For each month - $ 40.
3) For a transit visa:
- One-time up to 5 days - $ 20;
- Two-time up to 5 days each time - $ 40.
4) Additionally $50are charged for the issue of visas at the international airport of Ashgabat.
When visas are issued, fees are also charged for there is imbursement of actual costs related with obtaining visas. The amount of such fees depends on the place of visa issuance (irrespective of the nationality of the applicant).
Note: A different procedure for issuance of entry visas to Turkmenistan may be provided for citizens of the countries that have appropriate bilateral agreements and contracts with Turkmenistan.